Skip to main content

Landowner Resources

Message to Landowners: Are you seeking help because your residential or agricultural land is being affected by its proximity to Fountain Creek or another tributary within the watershed? While Fountain Creek Watershed, Flood Control & Greenway District (FCWD) does not have sustainable funding at this time to financially assist with your need, we are pleased to serve as a connection point to provide you with resources so you can protect yourself and your property. 

Please see the list of external resources below to find local, state, and federal assistance programs that may be able to help.

Eroded riverbank near a road with vehicles and trailers, indicating possible environmental issues.
Bank erosion at Southmoor Drive in Fountain

Do you own property within or adjacent to the flood plain?

  • If you answered yes, flood insurance is always advised. In most cases, homeowners and renters insurance policies do not cover flooding. Learn more about the National Flood Insurance Program linked below.
  • "Flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) helps pay for damage to the structure and/or contents of your home. That’s money that is otherwise coming out of your pocket."
  • National Flood Insurance Program - Why Buy Flood Insurance?

Have you received your Notice of Valuation and believe it could be modified due to erosion issues on your property?

  • If you answered yes, you may reach out to your relevant county Assessor's Office for potential re-appraisal of your land's taxable value which could save you money.
    • El Paso County Assessor's Office: Click here to learn more about the Appeals Process which is open annually May 1-31. In advance of May 1, you may view the Assessor's website to locate any similar properties to compare yours to; providing these comparisons will assist with your re-appraisal. For further assistance: 719-520-6600.
    • Pueblo County Assessor's Office: Pueblo County welcomes community members to submit their concerns as needed throughout the year. Re-appraisal will be considered on a case by case basis. Please reach out to the Assessor's Office directly if you would like your valuation to be re-appraised: 719-583-6597.

Has your land within the watershed been impacted by a natural disaster? 

  • If you answered yes, the National Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) offers the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program which "is a recovery effort aimed at relieving imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms, and other natural disasters. All projects MUST have a project sponsor. NRCS may bear up to 75 percent of the eligible construction cost of emergency measures (90 percent within limited-resource areas as identified by the U.S. Census data). The remaining costs must come from local sources and can be in the form of cash or in-kind services." Check out the link below.
  • NRCS - Emergency Watershed Protection Program - Colorado

Are you looking for support for conservation of wetlands, highly erodible lands, agriculture or ranching lands?

  • If you answered yes, the National Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has numerous programs across the country, including Colorado, to assist with conservation of wetlands, highly erodible lands, and more. Many opportunities are available for ranching, farming, and other land. Fountain Creek Watershed District may be able to serve as a project sponsor as you seek to be awarded program support from the NRCS. Search the extensive website for programs you may qualify for at the link below.
  • National Resources Conservation Service - Colorado Programs

Are you seeking access to clean water for your federally-recognized tribe or rural community due to an emergency shortage or disaster?

  • If you answered yes, the USDA Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants help "eligible communities prepare, or recover from, an emergency that threatens the availability of safe, reliable drinking water." Nonprofit orgnanizations may also apply on behalf of such a community. "Applicants must show that a major decline in quantity or quality of water occurred within two years of the date of the application. Grants are also awarded when a significant decline in quality and quantity of water is imminent." Check out the link below.
  • USDA - Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants